Personal Injury

Car Accident Injury Top 5 Questions & Answers

1) Q – What should I do if I am injured in a car accident?
     A – Go to a doctor.  If you sustained serious injuries in an accident, the first thing you need to do is get checked out by a licensed physician to make sure you are okay.

2) Q – Who will pay for my doctors’ bills?
     A – Insurance.  The whole answer is significantly more complicated; however, insurance will pay for your bills if it exists.  If you have health insurance, submit your bills to your health insurance carrier as you typically would after going to the doctor any other time in your life.  You should also check to see if there is any medical payment coverage available through your own auto insurance carrier.  Often times, persons injured in car accidents are reluctant to give out their health insurance information because they think the at-fault party should be responsible for their bills.  They are correct that the at-fault party is financially responsible; however, you do not want to miss out on contractual reductions in your medical bills or have your medical bills end up in collections while you are waiting to settle your claim or go to trial.  Your health insurance carrier can always place a lien in your injury case file for any bills they pay out on your behalf for treatment of injuries sustained in the accident.

3) Q – Should I open a claim with my own auto insurance company even if the accident was not my fault?
     A – Yes.  First, most car insurance contracts require you to notify your company after you have been involved in a car accident.  Second, you may have coverage with your own insurance company that you can use to help pay medical bills or receive additional money for pain and suffering should the person that caused your accident not have insurance or be underinsured.

4) Q – I was injured while driving my friend’s car.  Which insurance company should I notify?
      A – When in doubt, ALL of them.  The person’s insurance who caused the accident is the “at-fault” carrier and will be responsible for compensating you for medical bills, lost wages, pain & suffering, inconvenience, etc.  Your friend’s car insurance coverage follow’s the car and will provide insurance coverage if the at-fault party is uninsured or underinsured and may also provide medical payment coverage.  Your own car insurance will provide potential uninsured or underinsured coverage, as well as medical payment coverage if you have contracted for it.

5) Q – Should I hire an attorney to represent me in my accident injury claim?
     A – Maybe.  Whether you need legal representation for your injury claim depends highly on the circumstances surrounding your accident and the nature of your injury.  If you suffered very minor injuries, and you are positive that you have fully recovered, then hiring an injury lawyer may be unnecessary.  However, if you sustained serious injuries in your accident and/or liability or causation is at issue, you will definitely want to retain counsel to represent you in your injury claim.  Regardless, most injury lawyers offer a free consultation, so it is always a good idea to speak with an injury attorney in your city before settling your claim with the insurance company.

Attorney Eric Chandler
Eric Chandler

Related Articles