Personal Injury

What To Do If An Uninsured Car Hits Me While I’m Walking Crossing the Street

If you are injured in an accident, whether from a car crash, motorcycle accident, while riding a bike or even when crossing the street, the same elements of negligence apply.  If the accident was caused by someone else, there is a strong chance you are entitled to compensation for your injuries – even if the at-fault party turns out to be uninsured.  This is true even if you are not in a vehicle at the time of the crash.  Many people don’t realize it, but uninsured motorist coverage (UM) follows the person and applies even when you are not physically in your vehicle at the time of injury.

Oftentimes, people who are injured by an uninsured motorist don’t realize they have access to compensation for their injuries through either their own auto insurance or that of a household relative.  We see this especially in auto-pedestrian accidents, as most people never think to consider their own auto insurance.  Nebraska law requires that every insurance policy issued in the state provide minimum uninsured motorist coverage in the amount of $25,000 per person or $50,000 per accident.  See Neb. Rev. Stat. § 44-6408

If you or a family member have been injured by someone who is either uninsured or does not have sufficient insurance to cover your injuries speak with a local injury attorney before making any decisions to make certain you are aware of all of your options, as well as all potential insurance policies that may apply.

Chandler | Conway

Related Articles