Personal Injury

I was Injured in an Accident. Where do I send my bills?

First, you should speak with the injury lawyer handling your claim before you make contact with any of the insurance companies potentially providing coverage for your accident. Most people are aware of the auto insurance carriers, both their own and the carrier for the party who caused the accident. However, unless you have been injured in a car accident before, most are unaware of other potential insurance coverage which may be applicable to their claim.

Health Insurance    Contrary to what many health care providers will tell you, you want your medical bills to first be paid through your health insurance provider. Submitting your bills to health insurance allows you to take advantage of the contractual rates your insurance carrier has negotiated with your health care providers. It also assures that your bills will get paid on time.

Medical Payment Coverage (Medpay)    We have discussed medpay before. Medpay is coverage under your auto insurance policy that will cover bills related to treatment of your accident-related injuries regardless of who is at fault for the accident. Unfortunately, medpay is not mandatory in Nebraska, so not every policy has it. Medpay is useful in paying your deductible or any left over balances not covered by your health insurance. An additional benefit of utilizing your medical payment coverage is that your accident attorney may be able to take advantage of state subrogation laws when settlement occurs, likely resulting in you receiving a greater net settlement amount.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UM/UIM)    It is sad to think of the number of good claims that are never made by people who have been injured after being in an accident with an uninsured driver. When the person who causes the accident does not have insurance, or when the person who caused the accident does not have enough insurance, you can make a claim for benefits under your own auto insurance policy. Other than lawyers who handle accident injury claims, most people do not know they have benefits with their own auto carrier that will provide for coverage in these situations. Uninsured/Underinsured motorist coverage is mandatory in the state of Nebraska, so as long as your vehicle was insured at the time of the crash, there will be a minimum of $25,000 in UM/UIM benefits available.

Coverage Under Other UM/UIM policies    In addition to insurance on your own vehicle, depending on your living situation, there may be additional policies from those in your household which could provide coverage for your accident. Typically, insurance policies provide benefits for other individuals living in the same household even if not specifically listed as insureds in the policy itself. For instance, a high school student with no car, who is injured while riding in a friend’s car, can make a claim for UM/UIM benefits under their parent’s auto insurance policy. Make sure to speak with your attorney about the possibility of any other insurance policies which may provide coverage regarding your injury claim.


Chandler | Conway

Related Articles